To mark the occasion of its 50th anniversary, the Kuntsi Foundation will present a selection of works from its collection as part of a jubilee exhibition presented at Kunsthalle Helsinki. Highlights include masterpieces from the 1960s to the 1980s by artists such as Kauko Lehtinen and Leena Luostarinen.
The Kunsti Foundation was established in 1970 by the Finnish consul Simo Kuntsi (1913–1984), a collector who assembled a significant collection of Finnish and international art. The collection provides a colourful overview of 20th century art history ranging from international modernists to Finnish contemporary artists, including samples of Pop Art, Kinetic Art, Informalism, Surrealism, Neo-Expressionism and Postmodernism. It is known above all as a classic collection of Finnish contemporary art with a bold concept of displaying its growing collection in a public space, originally the premises of then-new Vaasa business institute. The Kunsti Museum of Modern Art was later opened in 2007 as a dedicated space for displaying the Kunsti Collection.